Entries Now Open
Exhibition 17 - 22 October / 22
Inspired Dance Photography Competition is created to celebrate the artistry and beauty of dance captured on camera and is open to both amateur and professional photographers 18 years and over, or minors who have parental consent to enter.
Finalists will be showcased in an exhibition in Brisbane to coincide with 3rd annual Inspired Dance Film Festival season held in Brisbane, Qld. Semi-finalists will be displayed in a digital projection format at the exhibition so that we can support and highlight the work of as many photographers as possible.
Early Bird Deadline – 27 June 2022
Regular Deadline – 31 August 2022
Late Deadline – 20 September 2022
17 – 22 October 2022
Best Studio Dance Portrait
Best On-Location Dance Portrait
Best Live Performance Dance Portrait
Best Fine Art Dance Portrait
Early Bird Deadline
$20 per Image
$25 per Image
$35 per Image
• Finalist gallery exhibition with digital display of semi-finalists.
• Digital display on Inspired Dance Website.
• Sales opportunities.
• Winners receive a trophy and $100 cash prize.
1) Inspired Dance Photography Competition (IDPC) is open to amateur or professional photographers (Entrant) who are 18 years of age or older, or minors who have parental consent to enter.
2) Employees of IDPC, affiliate judges, mentors or sponsors and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter the competition.
3) Submissions are collected on FilmFreeway exclusively.
4) The fee for each image entered into the competition is Early Bird / $20, Regular / $25, Late / $30.
5) Digital images must be in JPG format and are recommended to be at least 3600 pixels on the long side and be saved at 300 dpi. If an image is close to that size, there is no need to upsize to 3600 pixels on the long side. Images may be colour profiled in sRGB, Adobe-1998, or not colour-managed. Images may be in colour or black and white.
6) The person submitting the Entry must be the creator of the Entry.
7) You may enter any number of entries in any of the categories as separate projects in FilmFreeway. Each project must contain original source image and the final image for judging purposes.
8) Each submission must be original material taken by the Entrant including textures or other material used for supplemental visual effects in images submitted to the Fine Art category.
9) By entering the IDPC, the Entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that they have full power and authority to enter the photograph and that the photograph does not infringe any copyright or violate any other intellectual property rights.
10) The Entrant agrees to indemnify the IDPC from any and all third-party claims arising from the use of the photograph. It is the entrant’s responsibility to ensure that they have permission to submit images inclusive of all elements and persons in the image. Eg. Branding, Choreography, Art direction, artists’ permission, or any other material that would require a license or connection to a third party.
11) Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud, provided that Entrants must be prepared to provide a release form at IDPC’s sole discretion.
12) The Entries will be judged in the initial round in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below. The image must not, in the sole discretion of the IDPC, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, racial, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content. Photographs deemed inappropriate will be disqualified.
Entries must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
13) Entries submitted for the Performance category must be an image shot at a live performance using available light only. The performance may be on a theatre stage, dance studio or any other location used for a performance.
14) Entries submitted for the Studio Portraits category should be shot in an indoor environment using studio strobes, constant light or natural light. Entries with nude models, or implied nudity, even if shot in a portrait studio, must be submitted to the Fine Art category.
15) Entries submitted for the On-Location category should not be shot in an indoor venue or studio environment. Images must be shot in an outdoor location, using studio strobes, flashes, constant light or natural light.
16) Entries for the Fine Art category can be shot in the studio, on location, or at a performance. There is no limit to alterations to the image, dancer, or adding new elements and backgrounds and settings to the original image, other than altering the dancer’s body to give the appearance of better technical skills than what was captured in the original image.
17) Images submitted to the categories of Performance Portraits, On-Location Portraits, and Studio Portraits are allowed to have normal editing such as adjusting exposure/levels, colour, sharpness and minor background etching. Eg. Minor dust/dirt cloning, removal of stray hairs, minor skin complexion and studio backdrop fill.
18) The dancer’s body parts cannot be altered to give the dancer an appearance of better technique, or for any other reason that you would want to change his or her body. However, minor adjustments to external elements can be made. As an example, if a dancer’s ribbons on her pointe shoes are loose, it is appropriate to fix that in post-production.
19) Any images where new backgrounds, or any other major element, are composited into the image should be submitted to the Fine Art category.
20) Images can be entered that have been taken at any time prior to the Extended Entry Deadline of the Contest.
21) If the Host requires verification from the entrant by email and the Photographer does not contact the IDPC within 10 days to verify the integrity of the image, the image will be disqualified.
22) By submitting an Entry, you understand that if your Entry/’s is deemed to be a winner, it will be posted and distributed in various public media for Inspired Dance Media (IDM) publications and events.
23) IDPC will be responsible for printing and exhibition display costs. Sales opportunities will be available, with a 40% commission on all sales going to IDPC.
Judging criteria will be in accordance with previously stated guidelines with the overall attention to the following areas:
– Creativity and Originality
– Photographic Technique & Image Quality
– Capture and Representation of Movement
Judges will be from the photographic and professional dance industry, with images scored to determine the image’s final result.